Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Harry Potter


When I think of Gothic literature this is what I think of.Image result for harry potter and the philosopher's stone
J. K. Rowling is a modern day Gothic writer, not just in her writing style, but also in the settings. In all seven books the main setting is at Hogwarts Castle. Literally when I look at Hogwarts I see this beautiful yet eerie castle.Personally I would not want to be trapped in those corridors at night.
Image result for hogwarts corridors
Gothic literature is described as "violent emotions of terror, anguish, and love"  There is one scene in the Deathly Hallows Part One that really sticks out to me that displays this perfectly. In the scene Molly Weasley is dueling Bellatrix Lestrange in the Battle of Hogwarts. Molly Weasley was the matriarch of the Weasley household. Bellatrix Lestrange was one of Voldemort's Death Eaters (similar to an army). During the battle, Bellatrix began mocking Molly for the loss of her son Fred. "What will happen to your children when I've killed you? When Mummy's gone the same way as Freddie?" Molly knew she had to protect her family. Bellatrix tried kill Molly's daughter Ginny. With adrenaline and terror pumping through Molly's veins, she screamed "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH" and sent a fatal spell that killed Bellatrix. 
Image result for not my daughter you bitch 

Not only this one scene but all seven Harry Potter books reflect modern Gothic British literature. According to thereadingclub.co.uk   J.K. Rowling is the third most famous author. When thinking of modern Gothic literature, which I love, I personally think of Harry Potter styled writing. J. K Rowling is a fantastic author, I highly recommend reading all seven of the books before you watch the movies. 

click this!!!

-Savanna 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Monarchy Tradition

Recently in the summer of 2018, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married Meghan Markle, a mixed American. This event changed the history of ma...