Thursday, October 18, 2018

My Feelings on Shooting an Elephant

Before I start this post I know there could be many counter arguments to my points on this post. This is my take on it. Personally I do not like the story in the essay Shooting an Elephant by George Orwell.  Long story short George Orwell was a European police officer stationed in Moulmein, Burma. He was ridiculed by all of the Berman people, and even the priest. One day a worker elephant went mad and was ravaging the city. By the time Orwell received the call the elephant had already destroyed a bamboo hut, killed a cow, and raided some of the bazaar’s fruit stands. Upon the arrival of Orwell he saw an elder lady shooing gawking children away to what he finds out to be a dead man. This man had been pummeled into the ground by the elephant. So Orwell decides to get a gun for safety. He is conflicted because he does not want to kill them but it seems as if the Berman people like him because they believe that he is going to shoot this animal. So Orwell shoots the elephant… numerous times… and the elephant dies a slow agonizing death. Image result for excuse me gif 



There are SO many problems I have with this essay. Let me start with this, I have no problem with hunting. I grew up hunting “nuisance” animals such as deer, hogs, and duck. But killing an animal that is not considered a nuisance is wrong in my book. People who go on safaris and kill innocent exotic animals disgust me. Yes, I know that the elephant killed and a man and tore up parts of a town. But think about all the animals in captivity, animals at SeaWorld, certain zoos, and the circus are longing to be out of captivity. No animal was meant to be locked in a cage, or tied up in a chain. Elephants are the largest land mammal and they need an extensive amount of land to survive. Can you really blame the elephant for being angry and breaking from his chain? No. So why did Orwell? My thought is that he was a coward. Orwell was ridiculed all the time, and this is the one time the villagers were supporting him, he did not want to let them down. He states he does not feel right killing the elephant. Orwell cared so much about what the Berman people thought of him. He  did not want to look like a fool. But why? The people were so hateful to him, why should he care? I know everyone wants to be accepted but I think that this crossed a line. Orwell states at the end that he can justify his kill because of his work and the fact that the elephant had killed someone. But at what point do you disconnect your morals from work? Personally I would feel so guilty for killing the elephant because it is against my morals. No job title, uniform, or acceptance could justify the killing. I just can not see how he went to bed with a clear conscience. Do you think that Orwell ever felt guilty?
Image result for this man is wack gif
Me reading that he justified himself!!!!





-Savanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Monarchy Tradition

Recently in the summer of 2018, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married Meghan Markle, a mixed American. This event changed the history of ma...