Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Internet Paranoia

Recently in class we watched Black Mirror. The episode we watched was Hated in the Nation. Which was... just wow so interesting. My eyes were glued to the screen. I found this episode fantastic. I have only watched one other Black Mirror episode and I was not a huge fan of it. I think I liked this episode because of the murder mystery. I am a huge fan of crime shows. This episode really got me thinking about technology. This episode's technology is fascinating. The thought that a car can be driven from an iPad screen is so cool. The ADI bees were amazing to me. The fact that someone can create a piece of technology to work and live like a bee is mind boggling. It honestly made me think that the government could be close to doing something similar. I find that super creepy but also super cool. I know that the government taps phone calls but still, sending bees out is like sending a million little spies around the country. I have some of my own theories about internet paranoia. One theory I have is that Amazon Alexa and Google Echo are listening all the time. Lol that might make me sound paranoid. All you have to do is say "hey Google" or "Alexa" and they listen. So both devices have to be listening constantly to hear their "name." So what I want to know is Google and Amazon selling all the information they hear? What are they doing with it? Do you think they are selling it to the government? Another theory that I have is about the self run vacuums. iRobot Roomba is the creepiest thing to me. My parents have one and it freaks me out. Yeah it makes people's lives easier because the machine can be ran with no one at home. So basically the vacuum just turns on and vacuums your house. The iRobot Roomba REMEMBERS the path it runs in the house. so basically iRobot has an extremely basic blue print of your house. It is not like the detailed blueprint but the machine remembers so the data has to be stored somewhere. Which even if the company does not do anything with the blueprint they still have access. Just a little creepy to think about. The only other thing that really bothers me about technology is the ads that pop up on items I have only spoke about and not actually searched. There has been so many times that I have been talking about a new product I want to try or something I want to buy, but I II ne never searched for that item and then BAM an ad for that item will show up on my phone. CREEPY!! I watched a video a few months back where a couple tested their phones to see if the phones really listened. They talked about needing cat foods since they do not own cats or ever speak about them. Well about two days later an ad popped up for cat food. LIKE WTF! I know computers collect data (cookies) on each website viewed so that is why ads pop up after searching an item on the computer. The fact that your phones listens and collects data on you is terrifying. I recently round put that you can turn the microphone off on certain apps on your phone. I turned off all the microphones the phone allowed me to and that has helped reduce the number of ads. There is a theory that the FBI watches you through your camera on your phone and computer. Personally, I do not think that is true. I think that hackers can in to your camera but I do not think the FBI is constantly watching you. There are actually a lot of memes about the FBI watching people through their camera and I think they are hilarious. I am sure that the FBI has the capability to watch people through their cameras but I do not think they do it all day everyday. They have many other things that they are focused on. Honestly the internet is a crazy thing. I think that technology is a double edged sword. So many good things have come from technology and the internet. Things like iPhones, GPS, and even tools used in hospitals. But there are so many negative things that have come from technology like hackers, listening devices, and fake news being spread in the mass media. 

 Here is a link to the video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Monarchy Tradition

Recently in the summer of 2018, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married Meghan Markle, a mixed American. This event changed the history of ma...