Thursday, December 6, 2018

Random Thoughts on Bristish Food

Being from Louisiana I really love food! I think that a big part of culture is the food you eat. Food is more than just eating, it says a lot about a person and their surroundings. I think that most British food is normal, but I also think they have some questionable choices. So this is my thoughts on random British food. (Disclaimer!! I have not tried most of this food. Most of these reviews are based simply off of how the food looks and the name of the food) First off beans on toast... Who in the world thinks of putting beans on toast?! Not only does it look disgusting it also sounds disgusting!!!! They even make cheese and beans on toast and ketchup and beans on toast. Sorry to be rude but that sounds absolutely repulsive. Next up is mushy peas... Honestly anything that has mushy in the name sounds gross! What I want to know is are the peas similar to mashed potatoes? Why not just eat peas how they come? It sounds like food a baby would eat. When I hear black pudding I think of dark chocolate pudding! UM WRONG! Black pudding looks like a link of sausage. It is actually onions, oatmeal, pork fat and blood all in a casing. I love rare steak but thinking of mixing blood and oatmeal is disturbing. It just sounds so unappetizing. Next is a food called haggis. Haggis kind of looks like a loaf of boudin. But like off brand boudin. One food item I want to try is Yorkshire pudding. This pudding is not really a pudding at all it is like a rich dinner roll. I think I can eat my own weight in dinner rolls so I am really interested in these. One British food I actually grew up on Shepard's pie. I love the combination of the potatoes, meat, and vegetables! The only thing that was different from the British version is that my parents always topped the potatoes with cheese! It added extra flavor! Okay... a proper Sunday roast... WOW I am kinda sad I have not had this as a meal.  A proper Sunday  roast comes with roasted beef or lamb, roasted potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding. This literally sounds SO amazing!! One food I am a little confused on is a mince pie or "mincemeat" when it has nothing to do with meat. So I am confused because when I think meat pie I think of a Natchitoches meat pie. But this mince pie is a mini pie filled with dried fruit and spices and it usually a dessert served around Christmas. Honestly I would not mind trying it. Finally the last thing I want to bring attention to is England's choice of chip flavors. Walkers which is the same company as Lays in the United Kingdom, has a prawn cocktail flavor... Prawns and shrimp are very similar and I can not imagine the taste of eating a shrimp chip! They also have flavors such as pickled onion, beef and onion, and tomato ketchup. I know there is a difference in culture but all of those flavors sound disgusting. I think I will stick to my VooDoo Zapps. I think food is a direct link to culture. I think your surroundings impact what food you eat. I am sure that British people think Cajun and American food is gross. Certain foods hold sentimental value. Hopefully soon I will travel to the United Kingdom and maybe get to try some of these dishes!
-Savanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Monarchy Tradition

Recently in the summer of 2018, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married Meghan Markle, a mixed American. This event changed the history of ma...